BPW in South Africa originates from a company called Automobile Brake Services (Pty) Ltd which was established on 7 September 1945. The name was changed in September 1949, to ERN Quality Products (Pty) Ltd, named after the owner, Mr. E. R. Nesbitt. Mr. Nesbitt, being of German descent, was also a member of the German Chamber of commerce in Johannesburg, where he met Dr. Haase (the President in 1955/57 and again in 1959/60.
Since 1898, BPW has been developing and producing running gear systems and trailer axles at its Head Office in Wiehl, near Cologne. Through its strength in innovation, the company has been able to achieve continuous growth and is now regarded world-wide as a reliable partner and supplier of products of the highest quality. The company was consequently awarded the title of "Best Brand"in the "Trailer axles" category for the eighth time in 2014.